What is AgilePM®?
More organisations and project professionals than ever are embracing Agile tools and frameworks as they aim to increase the success of – and return on investment from – projects and other change initiatives.
Despite originating in the software development arena, Agile methods and frameworks are becoming increasingly popular in a wide variety of industries and projects as the benefits over more traditional frameworks and methodologies are realised.
Key benefits often attributed to Agile include:
- Improved revenue and speed to market: The Agile philosophy supports the notion of early and regular releases, enabling benefits to be realised early as the solution continues to develop.
- The right product/solution: traditional approaches typically require detailed specifications during the start-up phase. Agile, in contrast, advocates a high-level plan at the start of the project whilst encouraging change and flexibility though incremental development cycles, helping to ensure that what’s delivered at the end of the project is current, fit for purpose and satisfies the client/business.
- Increased collaboration and customer satisfaction: the continuous involvement of a user representative and/or product owner, high visibility of the solution and progress, and the flexibility to change when change is needed, create much better business engagement and customer satisfaction.
In partnership with the Agile Business Consortium (formerly DSDM Consortium), APMG developed AgilePM – a training and certification scheme underpinned by the AgilePM Handbook, a project manager’s subset of the Consortium’s Agile Project Framework.
The AgilePM guidance offers a practical and repeatable methodology that achieves an ideal balance between the standards, rigour and visibility required for good project management, and the fast-pace, change and empowerment provided by Agile. It’s based on the Consortium’s eight principles for effective Agile project delivery.
Benefits of AgilePM®
- Enable change faster, at lower cost and with lower risk, by continually validating project milestones against objectives and developing solutions incrementally.
- Improve time-to-market and project success rates by encouraging stakeholder involvement, feedback and effective controls.
- Empower project personnel and encourage increased collaboration and ownership.
- Based on the Agile Business Consortium’s Agile Project Framework (established for over 20 years and regularly refreshed).
What does AgilePM® include?
AgilePM® brings together all the elements of a project in an agile content:
- Principles (the behaviours);
- People (roles and responsibilities);
- Process (the life cycle);
- Products (what is produced and when); and
- Practices (timeboxing, modelling, iterative development, prioritization and facilitated workshops).
What qualification levels are there?
AgilePM® has two accredited certifications:
- Foundation level – a 2 day course with examination at the end of the second day
- Practitioner level – a further 2 day course (4 days in total) with an examination at the end of the fourth day.
- Both qualifications are internationally recognised
- Over 65,000 exams sat since 2011
Agile Business Consortium:
APMG AgilePM Page:
AgilePM® is a registered trademark of Dynamic Systems Development Method Ltd.
The APMG-International Swirl AgilePM Device is a trade mark of the APM Group Ltd.
© Dynamic Systems Development Method Ltd. All rights reserved.